This unit states that you are newly appointed as human resource manager and role is to set up HR activities so that employees effectively contribute towards organization.
- Conduct Study on scope and purpose of British Telecom with regards to attaining talent thus gaining business objective.
- Formulate effectiveness of numerous elements related to HR at British Telecom
- Evaluate external and internal factors that distress the decision making process including employment legislation.
- Apply various HRM practices in work-related context at British Telecom
HRM determines successful operations and functions to deal with different issues that are related with compensation, hiring, performance management, organisation development, etc. Furthermore, employee motivation, wellness, benefits, communication, etc. elements considered promoting effective advantages (Ayanda, Lawal and Ben-Bernard, 2014).
Present study is based on British Telecom which is a multinational telecommunication holding company and headquarter exist in London, UK. There are several operations in all over the 180 nations provided and it is the largest provider of fixed line, broadband and mobile services in UK.
For gaining insight information of the present study, it covers purpose and functions of HRM that are exists for workforce planning and resourcing in the organisation. Furthermore, it includes benefits of different HRM practices in the firm that are exists for employers and employee. Moreover, report helps to assess the importance of employee relation that influence HRM decision-making. At last, application of HRM practices identify that implement in work related context.
P1 Purpose and functions of HRM applicable to workforce planning and resourcing in enterprise
Human resource management is the business function that assists to focus on people aspects in the enterprise. It measures efficient management of several people in the BT group. Furthermore, HRM is the term that used to describe formal system devised for management of people in the enterprise. Responsibilities of human resource in the chosen organisation consider in different areas such as staffing, employee compensation, benefits, etc. (Altenburger, Ait-Aissa and de Aragão Umbuzeiro, 2015). As per the views of Flippo “Human Resource defined as planning, organising, directing and controlling of procurement, development, compensation, etc. In this regard, separation of HR consider for individual, organisational and societal objectives that are accomplished in positive manner”.
Nature of HRM
- Part of management discipline: HRM of BT group is a part of management discipline. It considered in management process and draw heavily from management concepts.
- Universal experience: HRM applied as pervasive in nature. It implemented in all the enterprises at each level of management in the business.
- Action oriented: HRM focuses attention on action so that BT group ignore on record keeping, rules and procedures (Chand, 2018).
Scope of HRM
- Human resource planning: Human resource planning defines as the process in which the chosen enterprise consider plan in process to assess number of vacant jobs.
- Job analysis and design: Another scope of human resource is job analysis which helps to prepare advertisement and placed it in the newspapers.
- Recruitment and selection: As per the collected data, job analysis consider assessment of information and it is published in newspapers.
Hard and soft HRM
Hard HRM: In this consideration, the chosen organisation treat their employees simply as a useful source of enterprise. It creates strong link with corporate business planning about resources and cost of them which incurred by BT group. Hence, they focus on hiring, moving and firing. This approach helps on workforce planning to gain expected results but it is more cost effective to take decisions that are quicker and focused. It gains relatively little attention to accomplish needs of employees.
- Short term changes in employee numbers
- Minimal communication from top to bottom
Soft HRM: Soft HRM consist as treating employees as most important resource in the enterprise to attain competitive advantages. Each person treated as individual and their needs planned accordingly. Therefore, they focus on needs of employees with their roles, rewards and motivation. In the workforce planning of BT group, soft HRM consider touch feely to treated nicely. Hence, competitive advantages can be gain in desired manner.
- Strong and regular two way communication
- Flatter organisational structures
P2 Strength and weaknesses of different approaches to recruitment and selection
Recruitment and selection are two major elements of the organisation in which BT group hire right people to perform right job. In this regard, following methods considers in the organisation:
Recruitment (Internal method)
Internal method of recruitment in the chosen organisation determines to fill vacant job with internal elements. When vacancy arises in the business, employees pay full attention with different methods. BT Group consider internal method for recruitment in which they selected transfers, promotion and present employees.
Improve morale: When employees take higher post, morality of them increasing. It assists to deal with expect promotion as they are getting hi