The scenario of this report is going to discuss the roles and responsibility of HR manager in an organisation. This will assist in determining effectiveness of HRM practices in order to build positive relation between employee and employer.
- State the purpose and scope of HRM in Deloitte for resourcing and skill management practices.
- Discuss the crucial element of human resource management in the context of Deloitte.
- Evaluate the impact of internal and external forces over the decision making of HRM in Deloitte.
- Provide a clear application of HRM practices in the context of working environment of Deloitte.
Human Resource Management is an essential part of a company whose basic function is to provide manpower as well as manage their work in a systematic manner. People in this department performs various roles and responsibilities which can be summarised into three components that are staffing, planning and designing the workplace in an organisation. The main purpose behind this is to gain competitive advantage and expand business in other locations. In order to see approaches and various functions of HRM, this report has been made on Deloitte Company of UK (Anderson, 2013). It is one of the biggest accounting organisation as well as largest professional services network in the world. This assignment describes the strengths and weaknesses of approaches used in recruitment and selections. In addition to this, it also highlights benefits of HRM practices for employers and employees.
P1 The purpose and functions of HRM that applicable for workforce planning and resourcing
Workforce process is done by human resource management of company in which managers use various methods of recruitment and selection for hiring the candidates. Since Deliotte Company is a consultancy firm which mainly works for providing suggestions in terms of finance, audit, tax and more. It has 263,900 professionals in workplace, therefore to manage them HR managers perform various functions in order to increase their productivity.
Functions of Human Resource Management
In Deliotte, HR managers concern more on hiring expert candidates mainly from commerce background (Aswathappa, 2013). The reason behind this is it business criteria because this firm used to provide suggestion to other companies how to utilise capital as well as raise funds. Some functions of HRM of this company are:-
- Recruitment and selections procedures: This is the main function of HR management in all type of organisation in which they carry out various activities for hiring the eligible candidates in workplace. As Deliotte is an accounting company, therefore, its managers use online procedure for hiring candidates.
- Orientation: This functions of HR managers is also holds its importance as in this process employers conduct suitable orientation program for new person who recently join the company. This program helps them in understanding the role and responsibilities of their job as well as nature of new working environment.
- Employee relations management: Since Deliotte has diverse organisational culture in which all people are expert and gain a high level of qualifications, therefore, to establish relationship among them is a major task for HRM. Managers of this firm used to engage in them team-work through which they can interact with each other and develop relationship.
- Training and learning sessions: The main requirement of this firm is to gain highest productivity of workers (Brewster and Hegewisch, 2017). Thus, for this purpose managers provide effective training program specially apprenticeship for employees. It will help them in developing their knowledge of accounts and current changes in taxation and other interest rate. Through this process, they can help other firms in resolving their financial issues.
Purpose of Human Resource Management
- Create better organisational culture: The main purpose of HRM behind performing various functions is to make an effective cultural in workplace. This would help in providing equality and diversity in organisation through which image of a company can be enhanced at marketplace.
- Law: In order to run business organisation in a legal manner, HR managers follow all rules and regulations established by UK Government. This would help in making decisions behind requirement and selection in a proper manner as per requirement of employee legislation.
P2 The Strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to recruitment and selections
In order to hire candidates from various sources is not an easy task for HR managers. They have to analyse strengths and weaknesses of each method so that chance of error can be reduced. The term recruitment and selection refers to a process through a company introduce people in their staff for fulfilment of specific job vacancies. In this regard, analysing benefits and drawbacks of each source assists employers in preferring best suitable approach. In Deliotte, its managers use external source mostly as compare to internal. Through this process, they can build a pool of various applicants who are expert in taxation and accounting policies. Some approaches of recruitment and selections are given below:-
- Job analysis: It is the first approach in which managers used to analyse which part of department need staff. After analysis, they collect information about requirement of job and make decisions for conducting recruitment and selections process.
- Job Description: In this stage, they provides information about vacancies on websites and other media which includes description of salary, job roles, experience and more. This would help job seekers to apply as per qualification (Cascio and Boudreau, 2010).
- Person specifications: It is also a part of documentation in which managers provide a sample of curriculum vitae including basic skills, qualification, job roles and responsibilities to interested candidates. Through this process, applicants can match their qualifications and access themselves before apply.
- Job posting strategies: Before taking interviews for further selections process, it is responsibility of managers to build some strategies for this procedure. It would help in judging the knowledge and skills of applicants through they can select a better one.
Sources of Recruitment and Selection
For hiring the applicants, managers can use various internal and external source of recruitment as per demand of job. Internal method hires a candidate from within the workplace while external one provides employee from outside the organisation.
Strengths of recruitment and selections
- Internal method is suitable in case of urgency in which managers used to promote an employee from one position to another (Chelladurai and Kerwin, 2017). This method reduces time as well as cost also.
- In place of internal, external source of recruitment assists in getting a list of various candidates for same position having required skills and knowledge of same field. The main strength of this method is that through this, a company gets fresh face who is coming with unique ideas and creative opinion which is helpful in producing innovation in products or services.
Weaknesses of recruitment and selections
- The major weakness of internal source is that this method fails to provide best person in workplace. Along with this, giving promotion or transfer a person on their position arise conflicts among other employees also.