This assessment will cover the following questions:
- What are the theories and principles of management which reduce the wastage of resources?
- Explain the principle of Lean production.
- Evaluate the application of models and techniques which increase the efficiency of the organization.
Waste management is the set of such activities which are performed for the purpose of making a reduction in waste that is faced by an organization in manufacturing activities. In other words, it can be defined as a process of reduction in the in-useful material which is produced by human being activities (Aytaç and Korçak, 2018). Its main purpose of it is to decrease the adverse impact of such substance upon the functionality of the business. The organization which is selected for this report is Bella Italia which is a chain of restaurants that are offering Italian cuisine to customers. It is headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It was founded in the year 1990 and since that year it is operating its business successfully and providing delicious food to its customers. This assignment covers various topics such as theoretical concepts and principles from operation management that can help to reduce waste in specific departments of an organization. Additionally, the performance benefits of waste reduction are also covered in this report.
Theoretical concepts and principles of operation management that can help to reduce waste in a process or department
Waste management is the process of taking control over all the activities which are resulting in such substances which are not useful for operational procedures. For all the organizations it is very important to identify all of them and take strict actions to deal with the negative events affecting functionality of operations. Bella Italia is one of the largest restaurant which are operating business in United Kingdom and for management of it, it is very important to make sure that they use effective strategies to control the waste (Charlebois, SCreedy and von Massow, 2015). If the are not able to reduce it then it may result in decreased profits and lower efficiency for running operations. For example, in kitchen department of the restaurant the level of waste is very high and so many ingredients are considered as non useful material and thrown away. It is resulting in pollution and bad quality of food items that are offered by it to the customers. There are different types of waste which are faced by entities in various industries. Description of all of them is as follows:
- Liquid waste:This type of waste includes organic liquid, rain and dirty water and waste detergents. Due to all of them the level of purity of water is decreasing and level of diseases in individuals are increasing massively.
- Hazardous waste:All the waste items which includes toxic, reactive, flammable and corrosive are considered as the part of this type of waste. Due to all of them environment and individuals get affected of they are not disposed properly.
- Solid rubbish:Plastic, paper, card, ceramics, glass, tin, metal etc. are the type of waste material which are produced by different industries and for them it is very important to make sure their proper dispose. Some of them could be recycled and used to make a new product. Those which could not be reprocessed should be disposed properly because they can harm health of people and also leave negative impact upon environment (Chiu and Hsieh, 2016).
- Recyclable rubbish:There are different types of waste material which could be converted in to products again. These are paper, furniture, metal etc. which are recycled and used further. Individuals should ignore throwing them with regular waste because they could be used in future.
- Organic waste:All type of food, garden, rotten meat, manure etc. are considered as organic rubbish. All of them should be disposed by individuals and food sector companies by digging them in to a pit. With the help of it, the negative impacts of it could be reduced on the health of individuals.
From all the above described wastes organic rubbish is generated by Bella Italia which is required to be controlled to execute business properly. All of them are related to kitchen division of the entity. There are various types of theoretical concepts and principles of operation management which could be used in kitchen department for the purpose of reducing waste of the enterprise. Description of all of them is as follows:
Capacity management: It can be defined as the process of making sure that an organisation make efforts to perform all the operational activities in all the critical conditions. With the help of it an entity can measure its ability to meet long term goals by reducing possibility of negative events that may affect functionality of business (Christ and Burritt, 2017). It could be used in Bella Italia's kitchen department for the purpose of reducing waste which is affecting quality of food prepared by it for its clients. It could be used to balance the supply and demand of the enterprise. There are three main strategies of it which could be used by managers in Bella Italia for the purpose of waste reduction. All of them are described below in context of the restaurant:
- Chase:This strategy is used by business entities such as Bella Italia for the purpose of improving ability to change the output so that overall capacity to execute business could be increased. By using it the managers in the restaurant will be able to determine the level of material which is required by them to meet the demand of clients. It will be beneficial to reduce the possibility of waste because the limited amount of items required to prepare food will be ordered and kept in store room.
- Level:According to this strategy an organisation will produce goods according to the demand level of customers because it can help to reduce the possibility of waste. By using this strategy the managers in Bella Italia will be able to decrease waste of food because it will be prepared on the basis of prior demand of clients. In order to reach the long term business goals of higher number of customers it is very important for the organisation to pay attention towards this strategy as it may result in lower waste (Grandhi and Appaiah Singh, 2016).
- Demand management:It is the last strategy of capacity management in which food items according to the demand of customers will be prepared by Bella Italia. It will help to reduce waste because the possibility of preparing such food items which are not preferred by clients could be reduced.
By using all the above described strategies of capacity management the managers in Bella Italia can control the waste and reduce it so that the performance objectives which are affected by it could be achieved. Some of the goals are higher profits, increased market share and in creased number of customers.
Lean principles: It is the set of different principles of operation management which are mainly concerned with creation of more value for the clients with few resources so that efficiency of production could be increased (Lean principles, 2019). It is also an effective model which could be used for the purpose of making reduction in waste in business activities. With the help of it, Bella Italia will also be able to reduce the rubbish which is resulting from food preparing activities of entity (Kwok, Huang and Hu, 2016). There are five main principles of this model which are discussed below in context of the restaurant:
(Source: lean principles, 2019)
- Identifying value:It is the first principle of operation management which could be applied in the kitchen department of Bella Italia for the purpose of reducing waste. At this stage the managers can analyse the amount that customers are willing to pay for the food items. It will help to set appropriate price for all the food items so that the possibility of waste could be reduced.
- Mapping the value stream:It is the second lean principle which is related to the mapping of value stream. With the help of it, elements that can add value for customers could be identified which will be beneficial to reduce waste as it will also help the chefs in Bella Italia to prepare food which will be loved by clients (Sakaguchi, Pak and Potts, 2018).
- Creating flow:This stage is related to the removal of waste from value stream where appropriate actions are taken for the purpose of making sure that the plans which are formed for value adding activities work effectively.
- Establishing pull:This principles states that inventory such as vegetables, spices etc. which are used by Bella Italia for for preparation are considered as waste if these are not used in a specific time period. This principle guide the staff members of organisation to use all of them on time so that waste could be reduced.
- Pursuing perfection:It is the last principle of operation management's lean principles which is highly focused with continuous improvement so that the waste which is affecting the operations could be reduced. It will be beneficial to control the rubbish material which is leaving negative impact upon functionality of business (Stöckli, Dorn and Liechti, 2018).
By paying attention towards all the above described lean principles management in Bella Italia will be able to reduce the waste which is affecting performance goals. Due to organic waste such as food items the entity is facing problems such as lower quality of dishes served by it, unsatisfied customers etc. All of them could be responded properly by using lean principles such as identifying value, mapping the value stream, creating flow, establishing pull and pursuing perfection.
Students may also like to check: Online Assignment Help
Performance benefits of waste reduction
For all the business entities it is very important to take appropriate actions so that the consequences which are resulting in waste could be reduced and the issues that are taking place due to them could be decreased. If management form effective strategies and use theoretical concepts along with principles of operation management then it will be beneficial to reduce waste. By using them different performance benefits could be acquired by Bella Italia which will be advantageous to improve productivity of the whole enterprise. Some of them are listed below:
- Good public image: All the business entities which are having waste in their production have to dispose it somewhere due to which general public have to face problems. If they burn it then it will affect the environment which will result in bad image of the enterprise in mind of public. If companies make efforts to reduce waste then it may result in good market image because the government and customers will have a positive mind set for the enterprise. It Bella Italia will be able to decrease the level of waste in its production then a good image could be established by it in the market which will help it to improve its performance. With the help of it, the organisation will also be able to achieve the objective of large market share (Verma, Borongan and Memon, 2016).
- Efficient production practices: For all the business entities it is very important to make sure that they are producing all the products efficiently as it is vital to be focused for achieving long term business goals. If waste will be reduced by Bella Italia then it will be beneficial for the enterprise to conduct efficient production practices because the resources could be saved to execute business effectively. It will also be beneficial for the enterprise to reach the goals of higher profitability and good market image because lower waste results in higher sales and good quality products. All the benefits of it may result in good performance of the enterprise.
- Economic returns: Waste reduction is the process of using the products more efficiently so that cost of raw material could be reduced. With the help of it financial performance of whole organisation could be increased. Bella Italia will be able to improve its profitability by making reduction in waste. The management can also acquire other benefits if the in-useful material will be decreased. These are lower cost of material which is required for manufacturing activities and higher profits.
- Good quality products: If there is a higher level of waste in the production activities of an organisation then it means that quality of the items manufactured by the same enterprise is very low. By making reduction in the waste the entity can produce good quality products which will help to attain business goals such as profit maximisation and customer attraction. When the in-useful material in the food cooking procedures of Bella Italia will be low then it will help the chefs to prepare good quality food that will help to satisfy all the consumers. It shows that waste reduction will be beneficial for the entity to improve its performance in the industry (von Massow and McAdams, 2015).
- Lower pollution: Waste results in higher level of pollution in the environment because if it will be burnt by organisation then the smoke from fire will harm the climate. By making reduction in waste Bella Italia will be able to decrease its carbon footprint because the lower in-useful material will decrease the pollution made by the restaurant. With the help of it, performance of the enterprise can also be improved because the interference of governmental bodies and NGOs will be decreased in the entity due to lack of waste.
All the above described performance benefits could be acquired by Bella Italia by reducing waste. For this purpose specific theoretical concepts and operation management concepts could be used by the organisation. All of them will help to achieve all these advantages that will help to achieve all the business goals such as attracting customers, increasing profits, sales and market share.
Related Service: Concepts and Philosophies Of Organisational Behaviour - BBC
From the above project report it has been concluded that waste management is the process of taking initiative to reduce possibility of such events that may result in production of waste in the operations. With the help of it, business entities can reach to their long term business goals easily. There are various types of theoretical concepts and principles of operation management such as lean principles and capacity management which could be used to make reduction in waste. With the help of the, different performance benefits could be acquired by the entities. These are good public image, efficient production practices, economic returns, good quality products and lower pollution.
- Aytaç, K. and Korçak, Ö., 2018, May. Iot edge computing in quick service restaurants. In 2018 16th International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks (WiOpt) (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Charlebois, S., Creedy, A. and von Massow, M., 2015. “Back of house”–focused study on food waste in fine dining: the case of Delish restaurants. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research. 9(3). pp.278-291.
- Chiu, J. Z. and Hsieh, C. C., 2016. The impact of restaurants’ green supply chain practices on firm performance. Sustainability. 8(1). p.42.
- Christ, K. L. and Burritt, R., 2017. Material flow cost accounting for food waste in the restaurant industry. British Food Journal. 119(3). pp.600-612.
- Grandhi, B. and Appaiah Singh, J., 2016. What a waste! A study of food wastage behavior in Singapore. Journal of Food Products Marketing. 22(4). pp.471-485.