Starbucks has its operations globally and serves millions of customers daily. It operates internationally with more than 30000 retail stores in 80 countries. Its operations globally depend on services offered through international partners, network of franchises and licensed Starbucks cafes. It allows local responsiveness through degree of decentralised decision making along with operational efficiencies through global standards and core competencies.
Assessment is based on Starbucks and requires consideration of local and international operations. This report includes two parts A and B.
Part A (Maximum 1500 words, 40 marks)
Use Starbucks as main case, draw information within public domain and observations:
- Four Vs analysis,
- Performance Objectives Analysis and
- Design Analysis
Compare the operations of Starbucks with Gregg's, which is the largest bakery chain in United Kingdom. Make a comparative analysis, you can use information Drawn from direct observation and public domain. Both organisations operate within close proximity of BPP university Shepherd Bush campus. Starbucks has a licensed store located at 62 Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush, London, ENG W12 8LP, while Greggs is located a few feet away at 68 Uxbridge Rd, Shepherd's Bush, London W12 8LP.
Important: You are encouraged to visit the store to observe the operation of person, do not question or interview staff. Information gathered from observations and public domain are sufficient for report.
Part A Should have following sections-
Comparative Four Vs Analysis (Approx. 525 words, 14 marks)
Perform four Vs comparison of Starbucks and Gregg's. Develop a Four Vs profile of both operations and explain aspects of both profile. Discuss how profile looks the way they do and differences if any in two operations with justifications and arguments.
Comparative Performance Objectives Analysis (Approx. 600 words, 16 Marks)
Compare operations of Starbucks And Gregg's. On polar diagram mark their current performance. Describe importance of different operations with evidence. It should consider the markets of Starbucks and Gregg's and how it affects the importance of each operations objectives.
Design analysis (Approx. 375 words, 10 Marks)
Based on Four Vs and Performance Profile two operations influenced (1) the design of customer service process, and (2) store layout.
Students Also Looks For : Modern Techniques used for Evaluation of Newcastle Football Club
Part B (Max. 2000 words, 60 Marks)
This part requires you to discuss the role of one of the following five key areas of operation management in success of Starbucks:
Supply chain management
In sourcing and outsourcing
Planning and control
Detailed guide for this report, it includes the following:
- Overview (Approx. 150 words, 5 marks). Introduce operation areas and its scope within operations of Starbucks.
- Starbucks global operations strategy and surrounding macro-environment (Approx. 350 words, 10 marks)
- Key requirements, capabilities and challenges (Approx. 350 words, 10 Marks): Discuss key operations requirements and challenges. What is required for effective functioning and capabilities of Starbucks in operations area.
- Analysis and evaluation of chosen operational area (Approx. 650 words, 20 Marks): Describe how resources are managed within this operations area of Starbucks, and it impacts on organisations operations performance. Determine how the organization manages its resources within these areas to fulfil the requirements above, and how they respond to the challenges/problems identified. In your discussion, you should draw on theory, concepts and tools within this operational area and examples from Starbucks.
Recommendations (Approx. 350 words, 10 Marks)
Conclusions (Approx. 150 words, 5 Marks)