Taylor's motivational theory is a scientific management theory that synthesizes and analyze the workflow.This theory was introduced by the Frederick Winslow Taylor. In 1909, Taylor had published “Principles of the scientific management” This motivational theory is undertaken with the purpose to improve the labor productivity and economic efficiency.
Major objectives of this scientific management theory is to maximize employee's improvement as this improvement show on effectiveness and efficiency performance. Such development is a revolution in the management process and worker's actual performance. If the principles and procedures of the scientific management theory Taylor apply, then it can big change on the various things. For instance:-
- Bring down the production cost
- Prevent wastage of time
- Enhance employee's efficiency.
- Secure the labor in industry
- Develop a relationship between managers and workers.
Assumptions of Principles of the scientific management theory
- Science, not a rule of thumb- This principle of scientific management theory is mainly focuses on enhancing the organizational efficiency through a scientific analysis of the work and not with the “Rule of Thumb” method. According tothe Taylor, even the small activities can be planned in a scientific manner. His will save human energy and also time. This decision should be on the basis of scientific analysis and cause and effect relationship rather than the 'Rule of Thumb' in which decision are taken based on the manager's personal judgment.
- Mental revolution -This technique include a shift of the workers and management's attitude towards each other. Both parties should understand the value of each other so that wok can be done with a cooperation and fully participation. Purpose of the both should be to bring improvement and boost the organizational profit. Mental revolution require a complete change in the outlook of both the management and workers; both should have a sense of togetherness.
- Harmony, not discord - Taylor believed that a cordial and harmonious relationship between the management and workers. Difference between them will never be beneficial to either side. Employees and management should acknowledge and understand importance of each other. According to Taylor, mental revolution for both the employees and management to accomplish total harmony.
- Cooperation, not individualism - It is same as “Harmony, not discord” and consider a mutual collaboration between the management and workers. Both should have a mutual cooperation and sense of goodwill. Its main motive is to substitute an internal competition with the cooperation.
- Development of every person to his or her greatest efficiency -The organizational effectiveness also relies on the skills and abilities of the employee. Hence, learning best technology and practices, implementation training, is an effective scientific approach that brush up the worker's skill. In order to assure that training is given to a right employees, an appropriate step must be take during selecting and recruiting the candidates on the basis of a scientific selection.