In the market environment, the competitive analysis is one of the crucial part of the business strategy which includes the thorough assessment of the companys strength, opportunity, weakness and threat of the potential and existing competitors and the influence of macro factors like political, economic, social, technological on the wo5rking of the business. Using the Porters five forces model, competitive analysis can be done which helps to give insight of the corporate strategy of the companys external environment. Swinburne University is one of the top leading university in Sydney which have its own internal software for plagiarism which is Swinburne Turnitin.
- What is the background of Swinburne university?
- What is Swinburne Turnitin?
- What is the market and competitive environment analysis of Swinburne Turnitin
Background of Swinburne University
This university have a international reputation for the quality research which connects science and technology with the business and community. It has high quality research and teaching. It was founded in the year 1908 by Ethel Swinburne and Honourable George. The university is aimed to offer the students the authentic workplace experience. The University provides quality education and world class research so it attracts high qualified educational leaders and academics. The university have led advancements in the solar sciences, sustainable technologies and advanced manufacturing. It provides flexibility to the students to choose how and when to study. It depends on the course as to a student wants to study on part time basis or online. The Swinburne University offers courses like aviation, arts and humanities, business, architecture, design, education, film and television, engineering, health, games and animation, law, nursing, information technology and many other. It has courses from almost all areas of subject.
The researchers of Swinburne have the reputation for the high quality research with their particular strength in subjects like astronomy, engineering, physics, material science, design and many other. It is a dual sector university which offers pathways and vocational education and the higher education.
About Turnitin Swinburne
Turnitin is the online text matching software which compares the electronically submitted papers with the billions of proprietary databases, web pages and work of other students. It is basically a tool which is used to compare the student's papers with the vast array of the online sources. The website of Turnitin cannot be used directly in order to generate report rather it is necessary select the Turnitin as the plagiarism review tool. The acceptable percentage of the Turnitin is anything which is below25% and above that, it shows that the paper is the not original rather it is copied.
Marketing and competitive environment analysis
In order to analyse the marketing and competitive environment, a model is used which called Porter's five forces. It helps in analysing the five competitive forces of the market which helps in shaping every industry and also supports in determining the weakness ans strength and of the companies. There are five forces in this model which is discussed below in context to Swinburne Turnitin-
- Competition in the industry-It involves the number of competitors in the market and its ability to under cut the company. In context to Swinburne Turnitin, the power of this force is high as there are many software available in the market which the students can use easily. The students may firstly check their research from other software and then check it from internal Swinburne Turnitin in order to lower their plagiarism check.
- Bargaining power of customers- It includes the ability of the customers to drive the price. With reference to Swinburne Turnitin, the power of this force is low as students are bound to check their assignment from the internal software which is Swinburne Turnitin. The students if uses any other software to check their plagiarism then also they are submit the report of the Swinburne Turnitin so the students have no other option but to use Swinburne Turnitin.
- Bargaining power of suppliers-It includes the power of suppliers to drive up the cost of the inputs. In relation to Swinburne Turnitin, the power of this force is low as the product is standardised which is Swinburne Turnitin. The students are bound to use this software and the university cannot drive the cost easily.
- Threat of new entrants-It involves the power of company to get affected by the new entrants in the market. As the Swinburne Turnitin have many competitors but is accessible only by the students and no guest access is permissible. So the power of this force is The students may use the new software initially as the new software will be accessible at low cost and then they can access the Swinburne Turnitin software for their plagiarism report.
- Threat of substitutes-It includes the substitute goods which pose a threat to the company or product. The companies that produces similar product or service have a threat on companies. In context to Swinburne Turnitin, the power of this force is low as the students can only access the university software as they are bound to submit the report of this software only which is considered as most authentic by the university. So no substitute can pose a threat on the Swinburne University.
So after the Porter's five forces analysis, it can be said that the Swinburne Turnitin is a strong software which is being used by the Swinburne university internally. No guest access is permissible so the students of the University are bound to only submit the plagiarism report of this software only. The power of the forces is medium so the competitive environment is quite low which gives strength to the University to excel in the competitive environment.