The present report defines different operational and functional departments In Hotel Hilton Conrad which is a five star hotel. Along with this the roles and skills that are required by a person to manged and run the operational department in the Hotel are presented. In the last part of the report certain gaps in the skills are analysis and for them suggestions are also made to fill those skills and professional gap.
P1 Presenting a range of function and operational departments in Hilton Hotel
- Human resource department:this department is responsible for hiring, firing, promotion of the staff with Hilton hotel. Along with this, the department is responsible for taking care of welfare of the employee and human resource in each and every section of hotel.
- Account department: this department is responsible for managing financial activities of the Hilton hotel (Various Departments of Hotel, 2018). this includes cash received, banking activities, operating information and preparations financial statements.
- Security department: this looks after the safety and security of hotel, guest, visitors and employees as well. This also takes care of the security of gust rooms.
- Housekeeping Department: management and cleanliness of guest room and all public areas in hotel is looked after by this department. This department keep coordination with front office, human resource, engineering, purchase, food and beverages, security and stores departments.
- Food and Beverage Service Department: Food and beverage department is one of the main service oriented and important department of the hotel. It renders the services of prepared food items, beverages to the customer as per their demands.
- Kitchen Department: Kitchen is a well designed closed area with skillful chefs and all necessary equipment, tools and utensils liable for preparing food items as per guest orders followed by standard recipes.
- Front Office Department: A bunch of skillful employees all the guest first in hotel and provide them all require information related with stay and as per the requirement of guest/visitors.
P2 and P3 Presenting range of different operational roles within Hilton Hotel along with skills requires and skill gaps
Department Role, Skills and Skill gap:
- Front desk department:The people at this desk are responsible for being in constant contact with the gust in the hotel (promsivapallop, jones, and roper, 2015). This department is responsible for giving all the information related withe each and every activity of hotel, solving the queries of guest and giving them suggestions. They are responsible for making all the recording and keeping books for guests check in, stay and check outs. The skills can be defined as effective communication with a tactic to establish consumer relations with guest. Talk to the guest politely, posses effective knowledge about the city, surroundings and hotel itself. Here skill gap can be identified as communication gap and effective presentation of one self as well as hotel Hilton Conrad. Fro removal of this skill gap front desk officers can be sent to seminar on developmental of communication skills and presetting themselves in a pleasant and effective manner so that guest can be pleased and satisfied with services.
- Kitchen staff: Hilton hotel being providing room, conference, and dining services to its guest and this requires a competent kitchen staff which can serve all the need of all guests on time without any delay.Main skills required are excellent cooking ability along with perfect time management and effective information flow management for completing the orders and services of the guests on time (7 key operational areas of hotel management, 2018). This is the main staff the the gap in this services is times management and communication gap with other departments such as inventory, front desk, housekeeping etc.
- Housekeeping: The people in this department are responsible for cleaning the rooms of guest of the hilton hotel. House keeping team is responsible for every detail within a room, from the cleanliness of the sheets to keeping toiletries stocked.They must have soft skills, time and resource management skills along with basic knowledge of every detail within a room and presentation skills. This skill gap here can be identified as slacking of proper knowledge of cleaning and presetting a room and providing room cleaning services on time.
- Food and beverage service department:The role of this department to manage the inventory all foods and beverages items need in hotel for food preparation and other services.The key skills required istime management and effective inventory control system. The skill gasp is lack on management skills and recording of proper data with in manual or digital from. Lack of bargaining power as raw material comes in bulk quantity in hotel so head of this departments must possess effective techniques to bargain with suppliers.
Skills requires different departmental personnel:
Head chef: the head chef in the Hilton Hotel is responsible for handling all the activities of the kitchen and serving the foods with utter preciseness and without compromising the taste. He is also required to monitor and guide the kitchen staff to meet the quality standards of the hotel.
- · Excellent coking skills to prepared and serve desirable foods articles.
- · Effective monitoring quality to check the effectiveness in performance of kitchen staff.
- · Leadership quality to handle the employee in kitchen department.
- ·Efficient present of mind to solve any problem that can arise any time out of uncertainties.
Departmental head of foods and beverages section: the head of this department is the person for making available all fords and other items in the hotel. The person is required to main an inventory according to the needs of other departments of Hotel.
- ·Possess excellent accounting and mathematical knowledge to have command on the inventory.
- ·Communication skills as he is required to communicate with other department that is kitchen, bar, room service, restaurant etc.
- ·Delegation of the authority as it need to deal with outside vendors to purchase various foods and beverages articles needed in the hotel so he must delegate the responsibility in accordance with the capabilities of his subordinates.
Reception manger: this is the person who first interact with the guest in the Hilton Hotel. The manger defines the services provided and give brief introduction of the hotel to the clients that visit the hotel for the first time.
- ·Excellent communication skill as he/she is required to present himself/herself politely.
- ·An excellent customer focused manner at all times.
- ·The ability to manage a large, diverse workforce.
- ·Experience of managing a team including rearrangement of staff to maximize efficiency.
House person: house person is required to maintain the hygiene and cleanliness in the hotels and rooms of the Hilton Hotel. The person is responsible for keeping the hotel lobby, rooms and other places of the hotel clean every time.
- A knowledge of how to clean the rooms as per the standards of the hotel.
- Leadership quality to guide all the house keeping staff.
- Effective delegation skill to give responsibility as per the best skills possessed by each staff member.
|Skills||Level of requirement Skills||Skills present||Skill Gap|
M1 Determination of skills gap for performance of operational role in Hilton Hotel
The skill gap can be defined as difference between skills that an employer wants or need in the staff and the skill that offered or possessed by workforce. The skill gaps in Hilton are considered as variation ability to perform a task and the level of operation of the employer (Huang and et.al , 2016). For mangers it is lack of time management and communication gap with the staff. At reception employees do not possess a quality to establish an effective consumer relation with guest coming form other nations. Same is with kitchen staff there is a skill gap identified in neat and hygienic presentation of the foot in the dishes which is served to guest in hotel.
D1 Analysis the impact of the skill gaps on business and presenting appropriate solutions
To remove these skills gap effective measure are taken by the HR department as:-
Manager are given training and department wise information structures is defined to them so that n communication gap is seen (Zervas, Proserpio and Byers, 2017). Along with manger have attained 5-7 seminar each to grasp knowledge for effective time managements in operation of Hotel.
The staff at front desk and reception are given skill development training and induction are taken for them how to build a strong connection and establish a rapport with foreign guests.
The kitchen staff was made to attain seminar of culinary and food presentation skill so that they present their food attractive which can lure any person.
Student Also likes to Read: Awareness about Equality and Diversity in Individuals
From the above report it can be concluded that in Hilton hotel the operational departments had been identifies as front desk, kitchen, housing and food and beverage departments the functional one are HR and account. Further it can be concluded that for all operational activities specific skills are requires by employee in particular department and for the skills gab suggestions have been made.