The scenario of this report determines that the CEO of Levi Strauss & CO. has asked their management consultant to analyse the role as well as the contribution of manager and leader in the operational practices of the firm. In this regard, it is required to consider several areas as:
- Analyse the difference between the role of a leader and function of a manager in Levi Strauss & CO.
- Provide a clear application of the role of a leader and function of a manager in a business context.
- Evaluate the role manager and leader play in operation functions of Levi Strauss & CO.
- Explain the relationship between leadership and management in the contemporary business environment of Levi Strauss & CO.
Operations management is defined as a paramount part of an company. It is a set of activities which convert desired inputs to outputs. It aid in making firms value and assist buyers. Management of operations explain several functions of operations which are homogeneous traits such as producing, controlling, organising, location, layouts and techniques of operations which are related with enterprise techniques (Bahmani-Firouzi and Azizipanah-Abarghooee, 2014). In this report selected organisation is Levi Strauss & CO. is a clothing industry. It was founded in 1st May, 1853 by Levi Strauss. They give employment approx 15,000 employees in 2013. Various numbers of locations of organisation operated stores are 2,800. In this assignment will evaluate roles and functions of manager as well as leaders also. In this, various methods and leadership theories are investigated in the term of business along with that also discuss the importance as well as value of operations management in meeting enterprise objectives.
P1 Roles and characteristics of manager and leader
Management operations is defined as a manufacturing, planning, layouts, organising and supervising various processes as well as functions for achieving determined results as well as changes in business activities for profits increment.
It is define as those entities who are having skills, vision and power of persuading as well as directing employees for achieving goals and aims. They also motivate employees by leadership as well as communication skills in their business (DeAnna and et. al., 2010). Initial team purpose is to head operations for meeting the set missions efficiency as well as productivity which aid in raising in a proper way.
Characteristics of Leader
- Honest: Another leadership traits is honesty as well as credibility as a whole group is liable over leader. If leaders more concern about their choices and advantages of employees will be a very effective leader.
- Ability to communicate: If leaders are able to describe their ideas to their team it will aid in creating a sense of ease as well as understand their employees. If each team member will focus on meeting targets then they can effectively accomplish their goals.
- Delegation of power: Every member within group have something different and leader should work with every employees weaknesses and strength for bringing out best within all members of team.
Role of leader
- Needed at all levels: It is required at each level of management within the organisations. Leaders can be exercised by counselling as well as guidance of their employees at a time of applying plans.
- Representative of company: Leaders role is to interact the rational of business to outside persons or public (Eyal, P.O.S.T and Haim, Clarizen Ltd., 2014). He is a representative of own division leaders id leading.
- He solicits support: Leader is who invites support, entertains and co-operations of employees. It can be done by his experience, maturity, intelligence and personality which give him positive outcomes.
It refers to particular person of an company who is able to design as well as manage work in a same direction for predetermine the targets as well as objectives of organisation to meet their set vision. Employees are allotted work of firms on various levels so that organisation should prefer, whole task properly. Besides this, manager of firms are concerned for workers performance appraisal. Organisation manager is responsible for presentation of employees in meeting goals and objectives. Some of functions are carried out within a given period of time.
You may also like: Relationship Between Leadership and Management
Characteristics of Manager
- Goal oriented: It is a very important characteristics which lead whole employees for achieving aims and objectives. They conduct different activities or operations for meeting enterprise objectives.
- Persuasive: Manager are much persuasive within nature for the aim of leading whole employees for achieving some goals within a given period of time (Hammill and Tanner, 2011).
- Patience: It is an one important traits of manager as they have to be much patient for monitoring as well as controlling the functions according to their needs.
- Multidimensional process: They sometimes versatile their personality for enabling in managing activities and operations, people and work of company.
Role of Manager
- Figurehead: They perform the duties of symbolic as well as ceremonial within nature like as welcome of official visitors, sign of legal documents etc. as a head of company.
- Monitor: Manager achieve the information of superiors, peers, subordinates and environment scanning. As they receive as well as seeks information concern external and internal events for gaining understanding of environment and company.
- Problem solving: Manager can take a corrective action as per previews issues. Situation pressure are highly demand as well as severe the manager attention along with that they cannot ignore the conditions.