Demonstration of understanding of professional and personal skills so as to achieve personal goals for employees of Thomas cook.
- Evaluation of different approaches of self-managed learning within Thomas cook.
- Evaluation of personal skills and personal development opportunities Thomas cook.
- Discussion regarding the implementation of personal and professional development plan for Thomas cook.
- Investigation of work-related problems in Thomas cook.
Continuous and self-managed learning is rapidly attained its relevance in both personal and professional contexts. It is analysed as one of the most effective techniques of learning which has increased one's ability to gather more knowledge and skills. It helps individuals in working in organizations to achieve their short term and long-term objectives. It is considered as likewise about setting objectives through the assessment of reason for getting knowledge and identification of ways through which the such objectives can be accomplished (Moon, 2013). Present report is based on analysis of different approaches which can be used for self-managed learning. As an employee of Thomas cook which is a travel and tourism sector organization operating at international level, various important ways are identified through which I will be able to encourage lifelong learning are discussed. Further, I have also evaluated my own skills and capabilities against professional standards and personal development plan is formulated to improvement those competencies and skills. In addition, various appropriate learning style and use effective time management strategies have been covered in this report.
1.1Various approaches to self-managed learning
Continuous and self-managed learning is the process which helps the individuals to identify and learn various important things and gaining essential experience which is important for career development (Hadar and Brody, 2013). In this context, technology plays an important role in self-managed learning which force the employees in organisation to adopt technical changes that occurs due to implementation of new technologies. It also provides opportunities for people to come with new ideas and business strategy of continuous learning. While working as employees in Thomas cook, I have also used various approaches to promote self-managed learning in professional life.
Some important approaches which I have used are mentioned below:
- Seminars: These are analysed as most important tools which I have used to learn different things about personality. Workshops and group discussion has help me to end up with more specific about taking openly and will additionally build up my presentation skills, transferable aptitudes which can be valuable in a scope of hierarchical settings.
- Social networks: In order to be socialize in respect of self managed learning whether it will be in local communities or social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter etc. By having assess on social networking sites, I have achieved knowledge about communication skills which has provided support in development of personality and making networks with customers on social networking sites which helps in increasing technological skills through communication and sharing of information (Zuber-Skerritt, 2013).
- Internet: There various sources of internet which helps in getting various information about hospitality industry and assess various important articles. In Thomas cook, I have also used internet as tool for increasing my knowledge and skills so that I can manage the work effectively.
Kola's learning style: Experimental theory of learning which involves various learning style which could be used by organisations to increase potential of employees at workplace (Trede, Macklin, and Bridges, 2012). In this, learner will achieve knowledge by going through four different stage of self managed learning. Such as concrete experience, reflective observation, conceptualization and experimentation etc.
Honey and Mumford learning style: It is also important learning model which is has been made after analysis of Kola's learning theories. In this, manager in Thomas cook will utilize requirements of employees by using questionnaire and development appropriates strategies to increase their growth and development at workplace.
1.2 ways in which life long learning could be encouraged.
Life long learning involves learning of individuals for improvement of strengths and helps in personal perspective. It involves two important aspects such as personal capabilities and usage of professional context (Reeves, 2012). In this context, I have also analysed various important ways through which I have been able to understand new and effective learning method through which I have able to achieve self managed learning. Following are the ways through which individuals will be able to encourage life long learning.
- Self evaluation: It involves analysis of personal skills and attributes which provide support in development of career in industry. It involves personal SWOT analysis because by evaluating strengths I will get ability for evaluating the professional learning with the help of professional learning tool and especially the self managed learning and continuous professional development (Hudson, 2013).