This unit is related with analyzing HR policy and framework and provide understanding of external factors which are affecting strategic business decision including following aspect
- Formulate HR policy and practice at TESCO
- Determine external factors which affect strategic decision
- Develop HR practice and policy to be delivered
Human resource management is related with manage actions and decisions of employees at workplace so entity can attain its set goal and objective. One of the main purpose of HRM is to ensure that entity is able to achieve growth and success through people (Harrington, Warren and Rayner, 2015). This concept enable entity to retain skilled, motivated and committed employees for a long time period. TESCO, a British multinational general and grocery retailer with headquarter in UK is taken in this report for study. Policies and practices of human resource in TESCO and various external forces that affect the strategic decisions of entity is all given in this report.
1 HR policies and practices in organisation
Employees play a big role in success and growth of an entity. Human resource policies are formulate by manager to guide employees and to maximise their contribution in business success. TESCO introduces a high commitment model which offer training and development to staff members. Entity have developed its culture through extend its logo. Various efforts are done by entity to improve commitment of its employees and to offer better services to its customers (Khan and Rasheed, 2015). This model proved a successful one for the entity. Different strategic Human resource are implement by firm as a change agent. During past decade, entity implement strategic HR by provide training to its employees on continuous basis. Introduction of HR policies has increase the effectiveness of business process. All this indicate that entity is a first class training provider to its employees which enhance enterprise's scope to expand its operations in new areas. TESCO operate in a competitive environment as its target customers have wide choice to determine where to shop. Recently entity expand its operations in financial areas and all its products of firm are available on internet (Tung, 2016). Various factors are there that require to be consider by entity in order to remain competitive and to maintain its market share. By reinforce its values and culture with help of training workers can be encourage to focus more on their job roles.
Human resource strategy of TESCO consist around simplification of work process, link performance management with organisational goals and challenge unwritten rules. One of the main feature of TESCO is that it ensure that every individual working in organisation has the opportunity to understand his or her role at workplace in order to contribute more in its values and purposes (Shen and Benson, 2016). In this, entity require an innovative induction programme that caters to various style of learning, different cultures and various commitment to the job. Employees that work on front-line are known as reflection of firm towards its target customers. All workers in enterprise, play a significant role in transform core values and customer commitment into reality and for this they do efforts on routine basis. One of the major challenge before TESCO is to make sure that all staff members are aware about the role they play at workplace as this help in understand how their actions and decisions largely affect the success of entity (Abdullah and Zulkifli, 2015). It is very essential for organisation to offer training to its employees on continuous basis so they can work well and better satisfy the needs of customers. Skilled work force support entity in get a competitive advantages and also help in generate more number of profits as compare its competitors. Main aim of strategic policy of entity is free up stores workers so they can perform well and can deliver better customer service to it customers. Concentration of future is to offer a clear way to define responsibilities and activities. System assure that all staff members are responsible and liable to be informed and consulted. Further, various management techniques are use improves skills of employees. These techniques consist situational leadership, problem solving and root cause analysis. In addition to this, TESCOP intends to emphasis more on improve and develop skills of its workforce. One of the main aim is to make learning an integrated element of its culture as this enhance organisational flexibility and help in get a competitive position.
Due to increasing competition on a fast speed, significance of HR in the United Kingdom is increased. There are basic differences in the hard and soft practices of HRM. Hard HRM practices emphasis little on concern of employees and due to this, effectiveness of human resource management based on employee's performance. Soft HRM practices also consider business performance as a major concern but concern of employees also valued in this.
Today business organisation require new and effective skills in order to survive in business environment. TESCO integrated HR into all plans of business. This aspect is require to be use by entities in decision making process. All this indicate high commitment to HR and offer more training to its staff members. This support an individual to better understand his specific role at workplace. TESCO place a high value on their human resource.
There has been an increase in offer training to the staff members and due to this workers are receive more training. All this happen due to strategic role of human resource department. Strategic HRM has gained both popularity and credibility as this largely affect the organisational performance. Every worker is consider as an significant part of overall business strategy and due to this they play a significant role (Stone and et. al., 2015). Training is offer to develop their skills and improve their knowledge. For achieve success, it is very essential for HR to take a proactive role in organisation.
2 External forces that affect strategic decisions
Human resource manager need to understand and assess all essential aspects of business which used to impacted upon on decision making of a company. It is really important to understand such aspects properly so that determined outcome could be resource. A human resource manager have to understand aspects of external world properly and need to control them better by crafting better and signified strategies in nature. This result in proclaiming better and determined outcome so that effectiveness and efficiency in operations could be maintain and manage for long period of course (Albrecht and et. al., 2015). Business managers of TESCO have to understand all external factors of business and their impact on strategic human resource management decision making process. This enable and support in defining and crafting such framework which enable and support in maximising effectiveness of working operations so that effectiveness and efficiency could be maintain and manage in their operations. Certain factors which required to understand by HR manager of TESCO are signify as follow:
- Employment market: One of a major thing which need to understand by HR manager of a company would be employment market. It is really important to understand and determine the nature of market world scenario in which association used to operate their activities. Like if they are operating in UK environment then they have to assess number of section unemployed in UK and then provide better opportunities to them so that they could sustain at define market world by providing jobs. If managers of TESCO found that vast section is unemployed then they have to craft strategies as per that. This result in providing and defining better opportunities so that suitable gain could be assess in long period of course. Thus, the first factor which have to focus upon and understand by human resource manager of a company will be employment market so that better and defining opportunities could be provided to each and every individual.
- Skilled force: Another external factor which required to understand by manager of HR of a TESCO would be skilled and unskilled individual. Like they need to understand from market world that in unemployed section how much of them are skilled and have better knowledge of work and how much of them have not (Cascio, 2018). This also enable them in determining better strategies so that they could maintain and manage such strategies which assist in managing effective operations. A skilled unit is really helpful where cost of training reflection is low on the other hand unskilled force required high cost. This also maintain and manage by TESCO managers properly so that they could recruit skilled individual more as compared with unskilled one.
- Unionised and non unionised: An important attribute which have to focus on by managers of company is to determine unionised consideration and non union intervention of their employees (Bratton and Gold, 2017). HR manager have to identify all unions and non unions whom working in favour of such employees so that they could facilitate better drawn of work. Non unionised section gain better opportunities as compared with union one because there chances of dealing problems of associates get done by HR manager only. Thus, strategies of TESCO frame by HR manager have to determine this aspect in frame as well.
You may also like the below sample