The purpose of this report is to evaluate the roles and responsibility of the manager and leader within an organisation in order to manage all the operational and functional activities effectively. In this regard, the analysis determines the requirements of talent and skills management in order to maximise business productivity and profitability.
- Discuss the difference between the role of a leader and the function of a manager within British Home Stores.
- Explain the role of a leader and function of a manager within British Home Stores.
- Evaluate the role leader and manager play in operation functions of British Home Stores.
- Discuss the relationship between leadership and management within the contemporary business environment of British Home Stores.
Management and operations can be described as to manage various types of operational activities or procedures more effectively as well as efficiently to attain desired outcomes. It basically includes to design a plan of action and control different types of processes or events which are necessary to carrying out an inappropriate manner to achieve required goals or objectives in an organisation. This report is based on British Home Stores which generally known as BHS Ltd. for selling clothing and household items. It was founded in 1928 by a group of entrepreneurs having headquartered in Marylebone Road, London. This assignment will discuss about roles or functions of manager and leader with key approaches of operations management. The factor that impacts on decision making of an enterprise is also defined below.
P1 Different roles and characteristics of leader and manager
Leader :- It can be defined as a person who has that effective capability to influence and motivate others to follow their instructions and styles for performing tasks or events in correct way to gain better outputs. Some of their roles which must be fulfilled by leaders of BHS Ltd. are as follows:
Role of leaders
- Clear vision :- Leaders have that ability to set more creative targets and goals and encourage their team members to put their efforts in rights direction for achieving desired results.
- Motivating employee :- BHS Ltd. have to hire an efficient leader who can completes roles and responsibilities in terms of encouraging their sub- ordinates to perform well. It is necessary to render correct path and method to employees so that they can work properly and generate desired results.
Characteristics of the leader
- Awareness :- Leaders have that skill to make their co- workers more aware about any tasks or scenario through providing them an accurate information. This will facilitate to employees so that they can choose rights way of working to complete setted target of BHS Ltd. Proper manner.
- Confidence :- The term confidence is very important as it is necessary to build in employees so that they can solve issues easily and complete critical tasks properly to generate desired benefits. It can be created by leaders through motivating people.
Manager :- This can be defined as an employee of company who has duty to manage various kinds of aspects which are mandatory to be conducting in appropriate way. They have to manage different types of departments to complete objectives of an enterprise.
Roles of Manager
- Hire talented persons :- Mangers of BHS Ltd. has task carrying out recruitment and selection top hire an appropriate candidate for specific designation. This will facilitate to fulfil roles and responsibilities that position in correct way in future.
- Manage resource :- There are several kinds of resources such as financial, economical and human which is mandatory by manage by managers to complete targets on daily basis.
Characteristics of the Manager
- Positive attitude :- A manager is requirde to always bear a positive attitude to maintain discipline in company which facilitate working in correct way.
- Empathy :- It is all about to have an empathy in managers which indicates to support team members and understand their issues to solve them properly.
You may also like: Roles and Functions of Manager and Leader - Levi Strauss & CO.
P4 Key approaches to operations management
Operations management refers to build an improved strategies as well as policies for carrying out different kinds of activities or procedures properly to gain desired outcomes. There are several key approaches which render support to conduct various processes in appropriate manner to complete requirements of company. BHS Ltd. Have to boost up efficiencies of their practices and policies so that they become able to conduct required operational procedures in accurate way on regular basis to improve quality of manufacturing process and product. Some of approaches which can be considered as useful for conducting operations management are given below:
Lean production :- This can be described as to organise each and every process of production in effective manner through improved strategies to gain better outputs. There are various kinds of rules and regulations which are necessary to be implemented for reducing wastage of time and resource in company through observing and analysing these events on daily basis properly. Lean production is basically about to conduct desired activities of manufacturing along decreasing rate of wastage in company to improve efficiency to attain more benefits. BHS Ltd. Have to focus on this criteria to increase regular productivity as well as profitability of an organisation to get better results. It is more beneficial to reduce wattage of sources which can be use in future and help to ensure optimum utilisation of available resources.
Just in time production :- The term just in time manufacture refers to carrying out different types of activities or events in required period of time through putting efforts in correct direction to get desired results in an enterprise. In case of projects or contracts, a time limit is fixed according to commitments of both buyer and seller. It is necessary to complete particular targets or objectives through ensuring about its completion within period of it's deadline. If the specific contract cannot be completed on desired time then clients are usually cancel that which results into loss for BHS Ltd. It also includes the criteria of supplying bulk of products in market by BHS Ltd. so that people can buy easily their desires goods to fulfil their needs or demands.
Six Sigma :- This is a kind of procedures which includes a set of efficient tools and techniques to improve process of production to attain regular outputs properly. Six sigma provides support gain various benefits such as reduce process cycle times, decrease cost production, increase client satisfaction, improve profitability and many more. This technique was primarily introduced by an engineer Bill Smith while working at Motorola in 1986. BHS Ltd. has to apply this method and improve effectiveness as well as efficiencies of an organisation to achieve growth of business in appropriate manner in terms of improving productivity on regular basis. Six sigma has some major features like define, measure, analyse, improve and control whole enterprise properly.