This unit states that Human Resource manager working with Waitrose is given an opportunity to conduct research with the use of suitable material.
- Provide an explanation of the purpose and scope of Human Resource Management in the context of Waitrose
- Evaluating the effectiveness of key elements of HRM for Waitrose.
- Conduct an analysis of internal and external factors that influence the decision making of HRM.
- Application of Human Resource Management Practices in a work-related context.
Human resource management plays an vital role in the overall operation of business. Further HR manager formulate different types of policies and strategies in relation to recruitment selection of individual in relation to particular job profile. Further, it is way through which organisation can manage the people in most effective and efficient manner. It includes different types of activities and functions performed by management in order to accomplish all the targets of business adequately (Barney , Ketchen Jr and Wright ,2011). Under this assignment the company which is preferred I.e. Waitrose Limited which is UK based retail industry deals in grocery and clothing sector and diversified their business in various countries. Further it discuss about the purpose function, strength weaknesses, benefits of different HRM practices and HRM work related practices.
2.0 Overview of organisation
Their are different types of function which has been performed by Waitrose Limited in order to perform all over activity of organisation (Boxall and Purcell ,2011). Further, it enable them to utilise all the resources in planned and appropriate manner and there are different types of plans that has been made by organisation in order to identify the needs and requirements of clients at workplace. All the activities are essential in order to achieve goals of company.
Different purpose which are associated with Human resource management are described below:-
Maintaining employee relations:-
The most important purpose of HRM is to maintain the relations among employees working in different department. Further it is essential for HR manager to communicate with every subordinate in order to understand their problems that help in keeping the harmony and peace within environment.
Utilisation of resources:-
The utmost responsibility of HR manager is to adopt such tools and techniques which allow them to use all the resources optimally.
HR department of Waitrose Limited require to ensure regarding the compliances of all legal laws and regulations that allow them to maintain ethical practices in overall operations of business.
It is very essential for organisation to establish such culture that lead to maintenance of coordination and cooperation within the working environment. Further, it allow manager to implement changes in organisation structure due to team spirit and mutual support.
Function of HRM are described below:-
- Planning:- It is the first function of management in which manager plans in advance regarding all the operations, policies and programmes in order to carry out the activity of business.
- Staffing:- Under this step Waitrose limited whole management main task is to fill the vacant position of business by employing the talented staff in order to performing work.
- Employee development:- Waitrose is large sized retail organisation where employees required time to time training in order to enhance their growth and working style. Further, it allow them to communicate with customers effectively and solve their issues in regard to goods and services.
2.1 Approaches of recruitment and selection
In every organisation HR manager uses different approaches and techniques in order to fill the vacant job position at right time. Recruitment is a process of inviting pool of applicants who apply for different empty position and HR manager select those applications which are relevant and eligible for that vacant business profile (Bulgurcu , Cavusoglu and Benbasat ,2010). Further there are two different ways adopted by Waitrose limited in order to recruit employees which are stated below:-
- Internal source:- Under this method HR manager select the individuals within that organisation only without the interference of external medium. Further it is advantageous for internal employees because they are already get promoted and increment in their salary incentives also. This consider as best mechanism of selecting deserving candidates internally.
- External source:-
This is another source of recruitment under which HR manager selected the employees outside the organisation by using different medium like advertising, social media and various internet sites in which they give the information or data to large audience regarding the vacant job position in order to fulfils the requirement of that department.
3.0 Strengths and weakness of approaches
Benefits of internal source of recruitment:-
- It assist in developing the overall morale of employees who are present in organisation which ensure the accomplishment of business activities in better and effective manner.
- This method helpful in boosting up the morale of internal employees because of higher promotion which allow them to work diligently that brings better outcomes in future.
Disadvantage of internal sources are:-
- Kills the talent of new and able employees that come with fresh and innovative ideas.
- Increase the chances of jealousy, partiality and conflicts among employees.
- Those employees who deprived from promotion are disappointed which affects their performance also.
Advantages of external source of recruitment
- Entry of new and fresh employee who come with innovative and unique ideas for business.
- Ensure regarding the compliances of legal rules regulations.
- Organisation has multiple choices for selection
Disadvantage of external source of recruitment
- It is consider as costlier and expensive method
- Increases the chances of disputes and conflicts because of different opinion and thinking of new and existing employees that leads to wrong managerial decision making.
Therefore Waitrose must consider all the pros and cons of both the above source of recruitment and select that one which provide them higher profits and outcomes in future.
From the given project report, it can be summarised that different sources of recruitment and selection are there that can be use by manager to fill vacancies at workplace. It is very essential that HRM should be implemented at workplace in an effective manner as this help in improve profits and productivity of organisation.
TASK 2a, 2b, 2c
1.0 Introduction of task
Different HRM practices are there that utilise by firm to create and offer a positive working environment to its employees. This enhance employee's morale and encourage them to perform well at workplace so company can attain its set goals and objectives in minimum time. Various HRM practices and its effective in increase profits and productivity of firm is all given in this task.
2.0 Explanation and evaluation of HRM practices
Human resource management involves in different types of practices which has been running by manager of organisation. Therefore the practices applied by the company in their operations which helpful in accomplishment of daily targets in efficient manner. Different practices like selection, recruitment, training development and performance management that executed by company in order to ensure the coordination and cooperation among employees. Various benefits that are derived from these practices are described below:-
Different HRM practices has been used by organisation in order to enhance the growth and development of employees. In order to develop professionalism among them different training development programmes has been organised in which guidance is given to them so they perform in better and appropriate manner (Coff and Kryscynski ,2011). Therefore Waitrose limited execute various programmes for the further development of workforce.
It is essential for HR manager to adopt such HRM practices in organisation that allow them to improve the behaviour and attitude of employees that lead to better decision-making. Waitrose HR manager must ensure that the relationship between superior and subordinate must be maintain and if any conflicts is their then provide better solutions so that problems can be solved and this will allow them to increase productivity and improve quality standard of goods services.
Flexible working environment:-
It is essential for HR manager of Waitrose limited to guide and trained their employees is such way so that they are not resistance towards changes and easily accept all the modifications. Further it allow them to grab external opportunities and come with such product segment that leads to higher profitability and sales maximisation.
HRM practices adopted by organisation allow them to motivate their staff for higher performance. Further rewards those individuals who perform well in particular task and activity which leads to positivity in them and they are highly focus in providing standardised facilities to their customers in respect of their goods and services.
Therefore Waitrose organisation must adopt all the above HRM practices in such manner that allow them to enhance their productivity in terms of profits and goodwill.