The scenario of this report discusses the business practices of Marks and Spencer for its effective analysis that are asked by CEO of the firm. The main purpose of this is to evaluate management and operational activities of firm.
- Analyze the roles of a leader and functions of manager.
- Provide an application of role of leader and functions of manager in the business scenario of in Marks and Spencer.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of manager’s and leader’s role in the operational functions of M&S.
- Determine the relationship between management and leadership in the contemporary business environment of M&S.
Management and operation are factor by which any organisation manage and control different types of functions of organisation in stipulated time period (Zambon and et. al., 2011). It aids to execute aims and objectives of enterprises. In that respect there are various types of operations and functions such as distribution of funds, regulation of employee as per their task, conduction of research and many other task which is manage by different resource. The major responsibility of manager and leaders is to accomplish various functions of organisation in proper manner. Manager of organisation guide their employee to perform various kind of work in specific time period. Marks and Spencer is organisation which give various kind of clothes to its customer present in the marketplace. It is the multinational retailer company which has almost 979 stores across the UK which also include sells of food products. This report explains about the different roles and responsibility of manager and leaders, different theories like situational, contingency theory and many others (Nong and et. al., 2013).
P1) The various roles and characteristics of a leader and a manager.
Manager and Leaders are the two personnels which plays a important roles to control and manage different types of work of organization. The main responsibility of manager is focus on to control and coordinate various types of operation of company in effective manner . It also deliver different types of in formation and guideline to different leaders in order to follow those guidelines and information which is given by superior level of administration (Wu, 2012). Leaders are the most important assets of organisation which motivate their worker in order to perform various kind of operations reported to the guideline given by organisation in decent way. It also recognise the various needs and want which is made employee while performing their work at workplace. It is the major responsibilities of leaders is to control and manage the different employee while performing various operation in effective manner. The manager of M&S controls various kind of activities which aids to execute different demand and desire of different cosumer. Whereas leaders are individuals which perform their duties in order to define their roles and responsibilities of organisation in proper manner. Here the roles of managers and leaders are different to each other:
Role of manager:
- Goals oriented: The major responsibilities of manager of M&S is to provide different types of information and directions which aid to guide their employee to produce different variety of clothes and food products to their loyal customer in the marketplace (Fotevski, Nemisys Networks Llc, 2016). They also focus on to buying behaviour of customer in proper manner. This aids to accomplish goals and objectives of company in stipulated time period.
- Controls risk: While performing different operations of business there is chance of risk due to complexity in performing different types of work in proper manner. The manager of M&S monitor different factors which reduce the performance of organisation.
- Direct : This is the major function of manger is to give proper direction in order of magnitude to accomplish different types of working capabilities of organisation in proper manner. They also prepare different types of strategies which are used to attain aims ad objective of organisation in stipulated time period.
Roles of leader:
- Representative of organisation: The major functions of leader is to guide their employee to perform different types of activities of organisation in proper manner. Leaders plays an important role in order to conduct meeting, conferences which aids to define the roles and responsibilities which are perform by different employee in proper manner.
- Integrated personal as well as professional goals: Leaders put their effort in order to perform various kind of trading operations of organisation in proper way. Leaders plays a important roles to accomplish goals and objectives of organization in proper way.
Comparison between manager and leader:
They put their effort in order to deliver information from upper level of management to their employee
They aids to guide their employee to perform different types of operation according to guideline given by manger.
They prepare strategies to inculcate with future challenges.
They monitor performance of different employee and also direct them to accomplish goals and objectives of organisation in proper manner.
They define the vision of organisation to their employee and they guide them to perform their work to accomplish vision.
Leaders motivate their employee to work according to different types of works in proper manner.
It is related with the control formal influence and control different function of organisation.
Leader direct all the activities of organisation which are perform different types of operation in proper manner
P2) Application of role of a leader and function of manager in different situations
There are several types of operations and purpose which are control and manage by manager and leaders in proper manner (Drucker, 2012). These are the individuals which handle the different situations and condition of organisation in proper manner. The leader and manger of M&S put their effort to achieve aims and objective of company in proper manner. Therse are various applications which aid to play a significant roles of leader and function of manager of M&S are given below:
Customer: Every organisation are depend upon different demand and desire made by customer. The manager monitor the demand and desire which is made by customer and put their effort to provide various design of clothes and various types of food products.
Employees: The major functions and role of manager and leaders is to determine different types of need and want of employee while performing different state of organisation in proper way. Manager needs to fulfil those necessity and neediness of employee according to direction given by the leader of M&S ( Khlat and et. al.,2016).
Society: The manager of M&S focus on to making different types of decision process which do not harm people living in society. This aids to maintain healthy relationship with the people living in society. They need to consider the values, norms, and attitude of people living in organisation. The manager of M&S needs to follow different rules and regulation of society which aids to proper running of business.
Supplier: Supplier are individuals which provide various raw product which are converted into finished products as per the demand and desire made by the various form of consumer present in the marketplace. Leaders give direction to utilise these raw material which aid to produce different types of products. Manager of M&S allocate various kind of resources order to accomplish various activities of organisation in systematic manner.