Endnotes Vs Footnotes: Know the Basic Differences
Have you ever noticed those small numbers printed over certain words at the end of the sentences or the paragraphs? They are endnotes and footnotes. They are like a subscript in the book or any document. The number represented at the bottom of the page are known as footnotes. And, if it is at the end of the document, it is known as endnotes. Both of them are used by the author for many purposes, such as to provide bibliographical information, explanatory information, and many other important details that are required to keep the paper authentic. However, it needs very much precision to do and that's why many of the college-goers fail to do it in their assignment, and that's why they need assignment help service so that they can get original work. We understand this serious concern that's why we are here to provide you with a better understanding of these important terms so that you can do it easily whenever required. So, here it is
Table of Content
- Comparison Chart
- Key Differences
- Advantages and Disadvantages
Basis of Comparison
|Endnotes are the piece of information available at the end of the book or the document.||Footnotes are the piece of the information that is placed at the end of the page.|
|At the End of the book or the document.||At the bottom of the page|
|Contains||Details of the referred sources.||An abbreviated detail of the in-text citations.|
As the name suggests, a footnote is the note appearing at the bottom of the page, to cite the referred sources. It provides additional details to a particular portion available in the above text. Generally, it is used to simplify or add more details to the text written above. Footnote is expressed in the form of numerical and its respected details is available at the end of the page. Footnotes can be generally found in books, research papers, and articles.
Endnotes can be referred to as the quotations available at the end of the page containing the sources that are used in the document for reference purpose. Primarily, it is used to cite the name of the authors and sources used in the document. It is arranged in chronological order with the help of alphanumeric values. These are generally used in essays or case studies.
Below are the major differences between endnotes and footnotes
- A footnote can be referred to as a note present at the bottom of the page that gives brief details to the reader about any particular part of the text from where it has been extracted. On the other hand, endnotes are used by the reader to give credit or acknowledgment to the author for using his/her content in own.
- While footnotes appear at the bottom of the page, on the other hand, endnotes appear at the end of the paper or book.
- Footnote is nothing but a short piece of writing of in-text content. On the other hand, endnotes are mainly used by the writer to quote references so that the reader can get a brief detail of all the external sources used.
- Since footnotes are available at the end of every page, they can cause an interruption to the flow of reading. On the other hand, endnotes are available at the last of paper, they do not cause any interruptions to the reader.
- Most of the readers use the footnotes for detailed information, however, endnotes are used for the citations of sources.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Endnotes and footnotes, both have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. Being a student, you should have a brief about these pros and cons.
|They are easy to find.||
Using too many footnotes can clutter the page, thus reduces the readability.
|Provide the necessary information instantly.||Too much information can break the reading flow of the readers or distracts them.|
|These are included while printing the specific pages.||If the page contains too many rows and columns, then the location of footnotes may change while printing.|
|Do not cause any distraction to readers or don't break their reading flow as they are available at the end of the paper.||Readers need to go at the end of the paper to find the sources referred.|
|Readers can get an overview of all the information used at a once.||They can be confusing since it includes different chapters.|
The use of endnotes and footnotes solely depends upon the asked formatting style. So, before start doing, always read the guidelines. Always remember that while the content in the endnotes and footnotes look same, both are for a different purpose. Hope you find the information relevant and useful. However, if you need any kind of assistance, just seek assignment writing service from us. Within no-time, our experts will help you complete your work.
You may also like:
Get A+ Within Your Budget!
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 100% Customer Satisfaction
- No Privacy Infringement
- Quick Services
- Subject Experts
- Innovative Documents
To Make Your Work Original
- Paraphrasing Tool
Easy to Use Paraphrasing Tool to Simplify Complex Academic WritingCheck Paraphrasing
- Plagiarism Checker
Check your work against plagiarism & get a free Plagiarism report!Check Plagiarism
- Reference Generator
Get citations & references in your document in the desired style!Generate References
- Grammar Checker Tool
Make your content free of errors in just a few clicks for free!Grammar Checker
- Essay Typer
Generate plagiarism-free essays as per your topic requirement!Essay Typer
- Dissertation Outline Generator
Get Structured Outline by Professionals for Your DissertationCheck Dissertation
- Thesis Statement Generator
Create the perfect thesis statement in just few minutes!Generate Thesis