LO1 Evaluate employee knowledge, skills and behaviours requires for HR professionals.
LO2 Evaluate the factors to be considered when applying inclusive learning and development in order to drive sustainable business performance.
LO3 Implement knowledge and understanding to the ways in which high performance working contributes in employee engagement and competitive advantage.
LO4 Explain ways in which performance management, collaborative working and good communication can support high performance culture and commitment.
Business grows through higher productivity which has critical importance in global economic recovery and prosperity in general. Hence the British department of business and innovation recently published a report which shows wider adoption of high performance work practices and how it improves firm's performance and growth.
Employee reports higher job satisfaction, motivation, commitment and greater opportunities for innovation and creativity with such working conditions.
The system comprises bundle of high performance work practices comprises Continuing Professional Development (CPD) which is the means by which professionals maintain and enhance their knowledge and skills. The CPD initiative aims to empowering people and organisations with the skills and knowledge.
The Whirlpool HPW Case
In a “company crisis” scenario in 2011, the North America Regional Staff of Whirlpool who are accountable for executing organizational and strategic changes to maintain the company embarked upon a major restructuring.
The team was aware that restructuring needed timely decision and effective collaboration. If the business was to move forward since the company was increasingly depending on teams for innovation and productivity, and simply being “effective” was not always enough.
The survey measured that its team in North America Region on five core dimensions for team performance. These includes Shared Commitment to the Company Vision and Extraordinary Goals, Shared Accountability for Results, Transparent Communication, Constructive Conflict, Mutual Respect and Solidarity. With the understanding of what requires to be accomplished with restructuring , the NAR staff become one of the first team to engage in HPT assessment and to implement the essential changes to make sure HPW.
With these findings Whirlpool employees in course of one day development sessions agreed to implement following changes.
- The lengthy unproductive weekly team meeting was streamlined by focusing on solving the operational issues affecting the business.
- Any NAR staff member who had specific individual needs to address the president or other team members did so outside of the team meeting, thereby avoiding personal conversations at the staff meeting.
- Off-site meetings were arranged so the NAR Staff could address strategic issues.
- End run” communications with the president were eliminated.
- Team members committed to working collaboratively to solve business problems by listening to each other and challenging one another, ultimately replacing a “hub-and-spoke” engagement model with the president as the hub.
In addition to these changes, Whirlpool staff made commitment to align their individual behaviour with the new teams. Those who previously worked in relative isolation agreed with one another before taking actions and to self-improve their skills. This helped team members engage in transparent communication and enhance personal ownership for the team’s performance.”
A second administration of the HPT showed following:
- Commitment to vision and goals.
- Team members communicate a constant message about team vision and goal in the organisation.
- Team members shows a business perspective even when executing individual priorities.
- Shared accountability results.
- Clear communication
- Appropriate forum for the team to constructing debate and discussions about the issues facing the company.
- Mutual respect and solidarity.
The follow up scores demonstrate that in just a half-year period and during a critical time in Whirlpool’s business, the HPT effectiveness process helped to improve the organisation performance.
As a HR consultant for Whirlpool, it is requires to present a report at annual Confederation of British Industry workshop highlighting ways in which performance management, collaborative working and effective communication can support high-performance culture and commitment.
- Carry research to generate the appropriate knowledge and skill and behaviour required by HR professional in organisation with reference to case study of Whirlpool.
- Analysis personal skill audit in order to identify knowledge skills and behaviours and develop a professional development plan for a given role.
- Analyse the difference between individual and organisational learning, training and development.
- Evaluate needs for constant learning and professional development in sustainable business performance.
- Show how HPW contributes in employees engagement and competitive advantage.
- Explain approaches to performance management with examples of how it support high performance culture.
You Can Also Like to Read About : Effective Performance Management In Whirlpool
|LO1. Evaluate employee knowledge, skills and behaviours required by HR professionals||LO1 & 2 D1 Produce a detailed professional development plan that sets out learning goals and training in relation to the learning cycle to achieve sustainable business performance objectives|
|P1. Generate appropriate and professional knowledge, skills and behaviours that are needed by HR professionals||M1. Provide professional skills audit that demonstrates evidence of personal reflection .|
|P2. Evaluate personal skills audit to identify knowledge, skills and behaviours and develop a professional development plan for job role|
|LO2. Analyse the factors implementing and evaluating inclusive learning and development to provide sustainable business performance.|
|P3 Evaluate the differences between organisational and individual learning, training and development||M2 Implement learning cycle theories to analyse the importance of applying continuous professional development.|
|P4 Analyse the need for continuous learning and professional development to enhance sustainable business performance|
|LO3. Implement understanding to the ways in which high-performance working (HPW) contributes to employee engagement and competitive advantage.||LO3 & 4 D2 Provide knowledge mad information resulting into right judgement on how HPW and mechanism used to enhance employee engagement and commitment.|
|P5. Demonstrate how HPW contributes to employee engagement and competitive advantage within organisational situation.||M3 Analyse the benefits of applying HPW with justifications to a specific organisational situation.|
|LO4. Evaluate ways in which performance management, collaborative working and effective communication can support high-performance culture and commitment|
|P6 Evaluate approaches to performance management and demonstrate with examples how they can support high-performance culture and commitment||M4 Evaluate the different approaches and make judgements on how effective they can be to support high-performance culture and commitment.|