AIM AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The main purpose of this module is to provide: A complete understanding of the enterprise environment and factors supporting and restricting enterprise development. Stages of enterprise development awareness stages with the range of start-up strategies that can be used in a variety of contexts. An opportunity to research and develop business ideas and to formulate a comprehensive enterprise plan for a new or existing business.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
K1 Examine the characteristics and role of the entrepreneur in enterprise development.
K2 Explain the theory, process and dynamics of enterprise development.
K3 Discuss the internal and external key factors underpinning successful enterprise development.
K4 Evaluate the components in constructing a feasibility study and enterprise report based on a viable business idea.
Students also like to read about : Impact Of Changes In The Business Environment-TESCO
- Explain and briefly evaluate data and information that relates to business development and effective decision making.
- Use factual and conceptual knowledge and skills to practical business problems.
- Prepare critical and creative approaches to complex issues relating to successful business and enterprise development.
P1 Determine relevant insights into the enterprise development process.
P2 Use relevant business models, tools and techniques in the formulation of a business report and development of a business idea.
P3 Evaluate functional concepts and operational techniques in activities such as production/operations, finance, human resources, sales and marketing.
P4 Prepare research skills though undertaking an enterprise development research project.
T1 Produce enterprising skills and demonstrate enterprising behaviour.
T2 Review effectively using a variety of media and reporting formats used in business.
T3 Examine, evaluate and manipulate qualitative and quantitative information in order to solve business problems and identify opportunities.
T4 Prepare team working, organisational and presentational skills.
T5 Improve personal skills as independent learners and as innovative and forward-thinking individuals.
MODULE TEACHING (10)
Week 1: Overview of Enterprise Development and Entrepreneurship
- Examine our understanding of enterprise, entrepreneurship and small business
- Evaluate the scope and context of entrepreneurship
Week 2: Analyzing Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Determine the motives for participation in entrepreneurship
- Analyse the entrepreneurial lifecycle
- Discuss why enterprise and entrepreneurship are important
- Explain issues and trends
Global Entrepreneurship Monitor.
Week 3: Enterprise Development and Planning
- Explain the concept of the enterprise report and a business plan and their relationships
- Evaluate the various roles of the enterprise report and its components
- Discuss the nature and purpose of the information to be included in an enterprise report
Week 4: Analyzing Ideas and Opportunities for Small Business
- Discuss business opportunities and ideas
- Determine sources of business opportunities
- Analysing ideas and opportunities
- Evaluate the role of feasibility analysis
Week 5: The Role of Small Business in the Economy
- Evaluate the relative importance of small business to the economy
- Examine and analyze its roles in assisting economic development
- Explain issues and trends
Week 6: Analyzing Entrepreneurs and Entrepreneurship
- Brief consideration of the nature of entrepreneurship, contribution of trait, behavioral and social-psychological researchers
- Examine and evaluate a 'typical' entrepreneur
- Brief consideration of the factors contributing to entrepreneurial behavior and assessment of the "born" or "made" controversy
- Identification of the entrepreneurial process
Week 7: Reading Week
Make group presentations in week 9.
Week 8: Finance and Sources of Finance
- Determine the various sources of funding available for small business Enterprises
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of the various sources
- Prepare the ability to research potential sources of funding with a view to financing their own small business
Week 9: Presentation Pitches
Prepare a new business venture for the panel
Week 10: Growing the Small Business
- Explain the potential for ongoing growth of the small business
- Evaluate the barriers to growth and examine a role model for growth to overcome these barriers
- Discuss how an owner-manager can strive to maintain a growth culture within their enterprise
Week 11: Networks and Support
- Evaluate and analyze the structure of business support systems
- Examine the role of government agencies (Northern and Southern Ireland) with regard to supporting small business
Week 12: The Environment for Entrepreneurship
- Creating enterprise and a more enterprising society